Thursday 29 December 2011

Tis the season to be jolly




Merry Christmas everyone!  Hope you've all had a lovely time and that you're still enjoying the festivities.  Christmas here was fairly quiet and lovely, with plenty of cooking, films and family.  In order to claim the dining table back my sewing machine and fabrics have been temporarily moved upstairs, but it hasn't stopped me planning my next projects....






A few weeks ago my great uncle sent me a couple of his old suits.  The quality of them is amazing - heavy wool fabric tailored beautifully.  As he no longer has any need for the suits he wondered if I could re-purpose the fabric - I think I may have actually squealed when my mum showed me!  I'm hoping here will be enough fabric to make a couple of skirts for work - I never normally wear skirts but I'm not sure why and I think it's about time for a change!  Unfortunately there isn't enough fabric to use the pattern I had in mind, but I just need to find (or draft) another pattern and then I can get on with sewing.  I know the fabric will be a dream to sew!

I also found a few minutes to do a little on-line fabric shopping - well I had to cure my textile withdrawal somehow!  Fat Quarter Shop had some fab offers on during the run up to Christmas, and I managed to pick up a design roll of Tula Pink's Prince Charming at half price.  I possibly shouldn't be quite so excited, but I've admired this range for ages and this is the first time I've bought fabric like this just for me!  I plan to make a quilt with it to live on my sofa, for anyone to have a lovely snuggle under it when they fancy, and no doubt for Alfie to claim as his own and to have little naps on.  We've watched a lot of films over Christmas and, despite there always being a fleece blanket in the living room, my daughter keeps dragging her bright blue sleeping bag downstairs to make herself cosy on the sofa.  I'm hoping that making a lovely quilt out of gorgeous fabric will render the need for me to keep carrying the sleeping bag back upstairs!  I've never made a quilt larger than a cot size before, but it's something I've wanted to do for a really long time. 

Which leads me to my final 'to do' project for the new year....


This quilt along will be another first for me; I think that may be a theme for 2012...I have piles of fabric sitting around, and I think I'll want this quilt to be as scrappy as possible so I'm going to try to be very inclusive of the fabrics I'm using and not get drawn into worrying about how it's going to come together.  So...do you fancy joining the Bust Yo Scraps quilt along?


No comments:

Post a Comment